Review: ESPA Optimal Skin ProSerum

A few weeks ago I was very kindly invited along to the absolutely gorgeous Bulgari Hotel in Knightsbridge to learn about the ESPA Optimal Skin ProSerum* that was released at the beginning of the month. Sipping on prosecco in the Bulgari's stunning 'Spirit Room', I was told all about the benefits of this groundbreaking new product. This is a particularly exciting product in the world of skincare because it combines the strength of a serum with the benefits of a facial treatment oil, all in one go, and is suitable for all kinds of skin. ESPA tend to tailor their products to more mature skin types, but this new product is suitable for all, including those with dry, sensitive, or oily skin.

The product contains 99% natural ingredients including a blend of essential oils, including:
Sunflower Seed Extract,
White Lupin Extract,
Balloon Plant Extract (known as Love in a Puff - how cute!),
Tumeric Root Extract,
Rose Hip and Echium Oil,
Vitamin E and Evening Primrose Oil,
Frangipani Essential Oil,
Rose Essential Oil
Patchouli Essential Oil.
The list of benefits from these ingredients includes boosting the skin's natural production of collagen, regenerating skin cells, anti-ageing properties and oil and dryness balancing effects, plus they smell pretty darn awesome when combined together!

After a talk from some very knowledgable skincare experts about the product, I was treated to a personal consultation from an expert in the hotel spa, which may have been the most beautiful and peaceful place I have ever visited in my life. The calming and comfortable treatment room featured a heated bed, where I relaxed while enjoying a mini facial. The skin therapist then had a look at my face with a special lamp (can't remember the name of it I'm afraid) to get a deeper look at my skin, to which I was quite shocked at the results. I know I have been getting a few more freckles across my cheeks and nose, but apparently I have pigmentation forming, suggesting there is more sun damage than I thought - I will be investing in a large brimmed hat before next summer. The therapist also suggested that I should be doing more for my dry patches, it sounds silly but due to the oily sections of my combination skin being more frustrating, I tend to focus on more balancing products, and in doing so I have actually made the dry patches more so, so need to focus on rehydrating too! I was then very kindly given a particularly hydrating moisturiser to do just that, but more to come on that one at a later date.

The packaging features a glass pipette/dropper to apply the recommended amount, starting at a few drops and increasing by drop if the skin needs it. I have been applying a few drops of the ProSerum to my hands morning and evening, and patting over my face (not rubbing it in!) as suggested by the lovely skin technician at the spa. It is very quickly absorbed into my skin, but the gorgeous herbal and sweet scent does linger, which personally has been another benefit in itself, and I find the scent calming and relaxing when falling asleep.

After two weeks of use, morning and evening, I am rather pleased with the results. Perhaps my favourite result is that my skin feels thicker, if that makes sense. The sensitive and delicate skin under my eyes and around my nose feels firmer, tighter, and generally in a better condition. Where veins were obvious and blue (pale people problems!) under my eyes and onto my cheekbones, they seem less obvious. My pores look smaller, my dry patches are more evenly moisturised, my oily patches are less oily. And generally, my face feels softer, and looks brighter and almost glowy -far less blotchy than before. The best bit about this product is that my skin not only looks happier, it feels it too.

The product retails at £48 for 30ml, which is pretty pricy, but after two weeks of twice daily use, the level of product has barely gone down at all, so at only a few drops usage a day, I can see this lasting a very long time. I have been so impressed with the positive results so far, I can't wait to see how my skin will look in a month, and even a year's time!

ESPA Optimal Skin ProSerum is available here at ESPAOnline.

Labels: , , , , ,